We've never seen one like this before! Check out this vintage 1960's 14" depth x 20" diameter Slingerland bass drum with absolutely NO drilled holes except for those required for the backing screws, badge and lugs. There are no holes for a tom mount, no holes for spurs, no holes for any sort of marching straps, no extra holes at all!
The exterior features a white marine pearl wrap that is tight and secure but does have some yellowing, scuffs, scratches, dirt and dust. Niles badge is snug. The interior is very clean, has a date stamp from the 1960s (the last digit is not legible so we can't state the exact year of manufacture), and shows no signs of moisture or other damage.
Reinforcement rings are separating slightly in a couple of spots, the plied construction is cracking/separating around most of the perimeter of the drum on both sides, and all lugs have spider-web-like cracking on their chrome (see closeup pics for indicative examples). Bearing edges themselves are fairly smooth, and the drum is in-round.
Also included are the original hoops which have come unglued at their scarf joints, no longer have their inlays, and are not usable in their current state (though they are repairable). As well there are two period-correct Slingerland-branded heads, one synthetic and one genuine calfskin.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or to request additional photos. And remember, this vintage Slingerland bass drum ships FREE within the continental United States. Buyers outside the continental U.S. should message us for a shipping quote prior to purchase.
THIS JUST IN! Since our initial listing, we’ve learned from a fellow Slingerland fan that this is most likely a Sound-King Model No. 323 ordered just as described in the Slingerland catalog. It also appears - per the catalog description - as though both heads are original: “A calf head is supplied on the players side and a plastic head on the audience side.” (See the Slingerland catalog page in our photos.)
- Vintage 1960s Slingerland Bass Drum as Described
- Pair of Original but Damaged Bass Drum Hoops
- One Synthetic Slingerland-Branded Head
- One Calfskin Slingerland-Branded Head
- FREE Shipping within the Continental U.S.
- Does not include any claws or tension rods. Only the shell, hoops, and heads as described.
This item is used. “Used” means we acquired the item after it had been previously owned and used for some length of time. Used items do not include a manufacturer’s warranty and many do not have original packaging. The condition of used items varies greatly. They may be like-new or they may have some sort of serious damage. Refer to the item’s description as well as to our Appearance and Functionality scales below for more information.
APPEARANCE (How does it look?) = 2
- 1. Poor condition. Some type of severe cosmetic damage.
- 2. Fair condition. Cosmetic issues that may require cleaning or repair.
- 3. Good condition. Normal signs of age-appropriate wear and tear.
- 4. Very good condition. Minor signs of handling and light use.
- 5. Excellent condition. Very minor signs of handling and light use.
- 6. Brand-new condition. Opened and inspected but no signs of use.
FUNCTIONALITY (How does it work?) = 2
- 1. Does not function. May be salvageable but likely just good for parts.
- 2. Limited functionality. Some parts are fine but others require repair.
- 3. Mostly functions as designed. Usable but not perfect.
- 4. Functions as designed. Fair to good overall condition.
- 5. Functions as designed. Very good to excellent overall condition.
- 6. Functions as designed. All original and new or like-new condition.
Suzuki T-140 14" Timpany Drum with Mallets
Vintage 1965 Ludwig Super Classic 9x13" Mounted Tom in Blue Sparkle
Sonor ProLite 17.5x24" Bass Drum in Nussbaum Finish with Case
Vintage 1960s Slingerland Bass Drum, 14x20" Virgin Shell, White Marine Pearl
Natal Pro Series Single Bass Drum Pedal H-PS-SPS
Percussion Plus 642 Double Tom Stand
Zildjian TZACC Accessory Pack for TZBAG Z-Bag
DW Linkage Assembly with U-Joints, 36"
Dixon Extension Arm with Rotating Clamp, PAEA100-BP