For those considering private lessons, here's what you need to know.
- No experience in either the instrument studied nor in music in general is necessary to begin taking private lessons.
- There is no requirement of long duration such as a promise to complete a particular curriculum or contract for a “semester” in order to take lessons. However, some teachers operate their studios on a monthly basis. Students ought to plan on practicing outside of the private lesson session each week in order to maximize the experience.
- Some students start from ground zero, while others are experienced musicians seeking coaching, touch-ups, new ideas, or accountability.
- A common question is, “Do I have to have a [drumset, guitar, djembe] in order to take lessons?” The direct answer is, “no,” however, most folks advance well through the benefit of regular practice—practice more often than one half-hour per week. Supersonic Music offers new and used instruments for sale, as well there is a lease-to-own program for instruments including all of the ones taught in lessons.
- Each instructor has his own book requirements based on the student’s level, interests, and learning objectives. Sometimes, instructor-created handouts are all that’s needed, while other times instructors require students to obtain specific books. Most books are run $10-$30. Also recommended is a lesson-dedicated bag/backpack for material, notebook, and pencils. Sometimes, students are asked to add in a tuner ($15-$40) or a metronome ($10-$35) but these aren’t required to begin.
- Students may take private lessons at almost any age and at most phases of life. Young’uns, middle-aged folks, retirees…all are welcome! Although there is no specific age minimum, most young people taking lessons are developmentally ready for the kind of learning environment inherent in this setting by around 7 or 8 years of age, though some students who started as young as 5 have been successful. So far, the oldest student was firmly in his 80s, playing drums at his church each week, but there is no age cutoff.
- Lessons happen every day at Supersonic Music! Some teachers are full while others have openings. Usually, lessons are held at the same time slot per student per week such as every Wednesday at 6:00 or every Saturday at 11:00. Typically scheduled in recurring weekly 30-minute time slots, some students come more frequently or for hour slots. Call, email, or stop by with a few days/times in mind that are good for you for us to find a time that lines up with an instructor, or if you want to study with a particular instructor, call/email with your contact information and we’ll have him get back to you soon.
- Although some of the private instructors are on staff at the store, as teachers, they are all independent contractors. Therefore, plan to pay them directly as per their studio policies (no credit card payments at the store counter for private lessons). Each instructor maintains his own attendance policy, rate schedule, and materials requirement. Prices range from $20.00-$25.00 per lesson or $80-$100 for a typical month. Most teachers prefer (some require) monthly payments, though some may accept “per-session” payments.